Mina Martinez runs an animal refuge in Chiba prefecture.
I discovered Mina on Facebook, through a wonderfully jolly video of her sharing a piece of salad with Kevin Bacon, the local pig. Then I discovered she’s also a personal trainer and used to be a cuban salsa teacher in Tokyo. So of course I was going to reach out to her!
During our conversation, we talked about her international roots, her experience as a martial artist and as a dancer, the beginnings of her refuge, her other careers such as singing and cooking, food and plant based eating, animal welfare in Japan, and much more.
Mina struck me as a deep and caring person, who lives her life in a very raw and down to earth way. It was a real pleasure getting to know her. I hope you will enjoy our conversation as much as I did.
P.S.: check ciplantgo's FB page or IG to see pictures of Elegua, the roster brought up in this episode.
- 0:01:37s - Who is Mina?
- 0:06:08s - Her martial arts journey
- 0:11:54s - Dancing and teaching salsa
- 0:16:56s - From the UK to Japan
- 0:19:24s - The beginnings of her animal refuge
- 0:46:06s - Financing the refuge
- 0:52:20s - Mina’s singing career
- 0:58:11s - Back to animals: a few anecdotes
- 1:07:07s - Mina the cook
- 1:08:32s - Let’s talk about food
- 1:27:51s - Some of Mina’s projects
- 1:29:57s - Living with animals and being present in the moment
- 1:32:40s - Japan and animal welfare
- 1:35:35s - The madness of the factory farm industry - how cognitive dissonance allows it
- 1:41:00s - Rapid fire questions
- 1:51:47s - An Elegua song
- 1:52:38s - Closing words and the future of ciplantgo
Introduction BGM: "Corporate Japan" by Birocratic (http://birocratic.lnk.to/allYL)
Additional notes and links
- Animals in Japan FB page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Animals.in.Japan/
- Mina Martinez AnimO FB page: https://www.facebook.com/MissMinaMartinez/
- Mina Martinez FB page: https://www.facebook.com/mina.martinez.3766
- ciplantgo Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ciplantgo/